Quilts

WIP Wednesday – Binding on 1930’s Reproduction Quilt

I finally finished sewing the binding on my 1930’s reproduction a quilt. The pinning was the hardest part.

I love doing bindings. But it’s really hard for me to do this, and the only place big enough is on the floor. I had spine fusion a few years ago – that’s what makes it difficult, physically. Just another reason why we are moving, (still looking), for a bigger home. Not a lot bigger, just by one room and a workshop for my husband Charlie.

And a proper sewing room to do this kind of work on a table, not the floor.

Biscuit kept me company and supervised, which always makes me happy!!

I love when it fits right into the fold where it belongs.

Done!! Now to sewing.

So here’s the situation, and then a question. When I first learned to quilt, I was taught to….

1. Attach the binding to the quilt.

2. Machine quilt.

3. After that, sew the binding to the back.

4. Remove the basting stitches.

5. Wash the quilt to give it that crinkly and fluffy feel.

Most of my quilting buddies at Friday morning clinic were taught to machine quilt first, attach the binding, then sew the binding to the back or front.
(I just prefer doing it to the back). Either way is fine and pretty.

Let me know in the comment box which you do first, because a few months ago, was the first time I heard about attaching the binding after the machine quilting.
I am thinking with the extra fabric and batting hanging off, which we trim before attaching the binding, those sides would get caught on things and get in my way. It’s fine to do it either way, as I’m told. Just wondering what other people’s experience is like.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a great week. We are waiting for our third grandchild, who is now overdue.

Happy Quilting!! And I’m linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Modern Pieced, and Lee Heinrich.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

I love reading your comments, and will respond directly by e-mail.

6 Comments

• Reply Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl June 4, 2015 at 8:11 am

I always quilt and then bind; it was how my grandmother taught me and I never questioned it! 🙂

• Reply Donna J June 4, 2015 at 8:15 am

Interesting question. I've only been quilting for a couple of years, hit and miss. I always quilt first then square up the quilt, then bind. I also, have never pinned my binding to the quilt. I sew the binding to the front, fold it to the back. clip it (hair clips) and stitch it down. Is that odd, lol.

• Reply Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts June 4, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I quilt first and then bind. I have never heard of binding put on before. I quilt off the edge a lot and the binding would be in my way if I attached it first. I never pin my binding before sewing it on. I lay it out to make sure no seams will hit the corners, pick a starting point and just sew it on. I sew it on the front and hand stitch to the back.

• Reply The Colorful Fabriholic June 4, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I always quilt first, then attach the binding. After quilting, I trim the quilt a scant 1/8" away from the edge. I cut my binding 2-1/2" and attach it with a scant 3/8" seam allowance to assure that I don't cut off any points. I never pin on the binding when attaching except for one pin at the start. I just run it around the quilt first to make sure the joining seams don't fall at the corners where the miters need to be. I use The Binding Tool and you truly cannot see where the binding started and ended. This works regardless of whether you sew the binding onto the front first or the back, but I prefer sewing to the front first. I hope this method will help save you from having to work on the floor!

• Reply gayle June 4, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I'd never heard of attaching the binding before the quilting, so I'll be interested to see what other commenters say!
    I come from the dinosaur days of quilting, so YMMV. Attaching the binding was always done after the quilting – that way you could straighten the edge if the quilting had pulled it off true, plus if you were hand quilting in a hoop (which was pretty standard back in olden times) it gave you more room to use the hoop when quilting close to the edge. My (limited) experience with machine quilting near edges has shown even more distortion than with hand quilting.

• Reply hydeeannsews June 7, 2015 at 11:55 pm

i've never heard of quilting first! i was told the quilting can affect the shape of the quilt and so you should quilt, then square off, then attach binding. but if you've never had problems with it and like it that way, why not? perhaps putting the binding on first helps it keep its shape when quilting?