Uncategorized

My 12 Little Dirty Quilting Secrets – Quilter’s Challenge

I admit that I too, have a few of these. And since so many quilters are blogging about it, which now seems like our version of the Ice Bucket Challenge, I step up to this challenge too.

Amy over at 13 Spools, The Cute Life was first post I read who wrote about her quilting, dirty little secrets, and has started a trend. http://www.13spools.com/2014/08/10-quilty-little-secrets.html?showComment=1408971215304#c1883101429008327110

1. I sew over my pins, except when I am at Pins and Needles on Friday mornings at quilt clinic. When I forget, Lisa or Deb always remind me.

2. I love to hand sew my binding to the back of the quilt when I finish.

3. I want to participate in more linky parties, tried once with Freshly Pieced Quilts, and am still not sure it’s as easy as that. I feel like I am missing a step. Is it just a virtual show and tell? (If anyone wants to answer that, please comment in my comment box below, and thanks).

4. I am not a big Aurafil fan. I love Presensia.

5. I used to baste with thread which took hours, but now prefer basting with safety pins.

6. I can stand color bleeding. Except for pre-cuts, I wash all my fabric in the machine, sometimes twice if it’s red, pink, purple, etc. to be sure the colors won’t bleed after the quilt is made. I always put a white rag or old white sock in the second washing to make sure that color doesn’t seep onto the white. If it does, I will wash it again until it doesn’t bleed anymore.

7. Somehow, I can’t get all my seams on the back of the top to iron in the same way so it will all be flat. (I keep trying).

8. I can’t stand paper piecing, because I am dyslexic, lefty.

9. I always listen to the radio, play CD’s or have the TV on in the background when I quilt. Food TV network’s, “Chopped,” and HGTV’s “The Property Brothers” are my favorites.

10. I am, oh so not a Hexie fan either. Other quilters do a lovely job with it, but it is not my thing.

11. Before starting a quilt, and especially before machine quilting i wind a lot of bobbins to make sure I don’t run out. I really dislike stopping in the middle to wind more bobbins.

12. I sat on my seam ripper once, and ended up with 4 stitches in my right thigh.

Please feel free to share yours.  It is a lot of fun.

Previous Post Next Post

I love reading your comments, and will respond directly by e-mail.

20 Comments

• Reply Sharon August 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

First time to you blog. Love the list and posted one of my own.

• Reply SewLittleToSay August 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Oh no, I shouldn't laugh at number 12 but there is a certain irony about ending up with stitches due to an injury from something that removes stitches.

• Reply Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl August 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Ouch, sitting on your seam ripper sounds quite painful! 🙁 I am with you on having music on in the background. It's lower volume when I sit at the computer and louder when I sew. Gotta have my tunes on! I think the real trick with linky parties is to go and comment on as many other's posts as possible to kind of enhance the experience.

• Reply annieb August 25, 2014 at 7:32 pm

It was painful, for sure. More embarrassing than anything else. I have a cup that says, Stay Calm and Keep Your Seam Ripper Close." I want to change it to, "but not too close."
    Thanks as always for your thoughts on linky parties. It is as easy as I thought!!

• Reply annieb August 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm

It is ironic. I never thought about it until I read your comment which made me laugh.

• Reply annieb August 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I love your list too. I am with you on number 10. How can I subscribe to your blog?

• Reply Tanya Quilts in CO August 26, 2014 at 1:50 am

I am awful at paper piecing too! I am a lefty, but I never made that connection. Don't give up on the linking parties! I have found some great blogs through them.

• Reply annieb August 26, 2014 at 1:53 am

Thanks. I am going to join some more linky parties this fall. Not giving up.

• Reply Mina August 26, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Oh dear, #12 sounds painful. I have sliced off my fingerprints with my rotary before, but no accidents with my seam ripper yet. I will be more careful with my seam ripper

• Reply Needle and Foot August 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm

#12 sounds miserable. Yuk!! Linky parties are definitely a way to show and tell your work. They are great fun. I have a bunch of them listed at the top of my blog if you want to see what is happening on different days of the week. Give it a try. It is really a fun way to find out about different quilters.

Cute list!!

• Reply annieb August 26, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Yes. Although we love our seam rippers, boy that thing can be dangerous.

• Reply annieb August 26, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.

• Reply Shauna August 27, 2014 at 7:36 pm

great list!!! but #12 is a major ouchy!!!

• Reply Wendy August 31, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Can I suggest that if people visit you from linky parties and comment, you reply by email rather than on your blog… noone goes back to read comment replies andd they'll think you just didn't reply

• Reply annieb September 1, 2014 at 1:58 am

Thanks. I noticed that was the case. I participated in Freshly Modern Pieced Wednesday WIP's twice and saw that people were e-mailing me back directly. But I am glad you said this, because I might not have had that happen. It is more personal and nicer to contact someone who comment on your work directly. Thanks again, Wendy 🙂

• Reply LA Paylor September 1, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I sliced into my finger with the rotary cutter, quilting is dangerous!! If you hit a pin sewing over it, the timing on your machine can get messed up, requiring an expensive trip to the mechanic… just sayin'

Love that you pre wash. A quilt appraiser said on quiltart lately, if we knew the chemicals we are playing with on unwashed fabrics you'd be scared! I put precuts in a mesh bag and into the laundry too. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

• Reply Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} September 4, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Linky parties really are a big show and tell, and can be a good way to find more blogs to follow. Most of them specify that you then visit the few links before you and comment on those posts, though I've been noticing this doesn't really happen so it's probably better to go in thinking you'll find some good blogs rather than expect comments on your own!

• Reply Rebecca September 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm

#9
    Audio books are my constant companions in the sewing room…also the car…weeding the garden…lol

• Reply Janice Cate September 22, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Have you ever tried Color Catchers in the wash? I use two or more sheets when I wash a quilt for the first time and don't have any problem with colors bleeding.

• Reply Vera September 22, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Yikes for the seam ripper! About the linky it is like show and tell. I haven't done it in a while but it also sort of motivate you to have some progress, at least I'm motivated to have something to blog about, lol.